Although both parents of a child are obligated to pay for the care and well-being of their child, child support may be ordered against one parent to be paid to the other to help pay for the same standard of care the child was receiving when both parents were together—or if they were together.

Florida Child Support Guidelines

How Support is Determined

The State of Florida follows a formula, known as the Florida Child Support Guidelines, to determine how much child support to order. This formula considers the income of each parents, how many children, and costs associated with raising the child (e.g. medical costs, daycare, etc.) and calculates the total amount of support needed for the care of the children. Then, the formula takes into account what percentage each parent is responsible for contributing to that total factor and determines how much child support one parent should pay to the other to ensure the total support amount is being met for the children.

Child support is usually assigned to the parent who makes more money or who has the child for less time throughout the year—since they will have fewer child related expenses in their home.

Changes to Child Support Payments

If the support payments need to be changed at a later time due to a substantial change in circumstances—financial or otherwise—this is permissible under Florida law.  One parent might, for instance, experience a change in income.  In such a case the court may seek to adjust the payments of child support. The court then has the authority to modify the support payments to reflect these changes.

Learn More About Post-Modifications

Attorney Help Seeking Child Support

Our family law attorney has dealt with countless child support cases, including modifications and support initiation requests during the dissolution of marriage or between parents who never wed and wish to ensure their child’s needs are met with support from the other parent.

Schedule Legal Consultation


Your Family Matters.
Contact Myrthil’s Law, P.A. to discuss how we can serve your family.

Call (813) 445-6363 or fill out the form below and someone from our office will contact you for an appointment.

  • Online entries do not create an attorney-client relationship.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.